Recent News » Communications Manager
EcoAgriculture Partners announces the following opportunity:
Posted March 25, 2012
EcoAgriculture Partners is an international non-profit organization that strives to bring about a world where rural landscapes are managed to improve rural livelihoods, conserve native ecosystems, and sustainably produce food and fiber (“ecoagriculture”). The organization does so by providing training, research, policy solutions, and support to farmers, communities, and organizations at the local, national and international levels. To learn more about EcoAgriculture
Partners, please visit our website at www.ecoagriculture.org.
A centerpiece of EcoAgriculture Partners’ work from 2011-2014 is to facilitate and co-lead the Landscapes for People, Food, and Nature Initiative (LPFN)—a collaborative, international initiative to support the scaling-up of effective integrated agricultural landscape approaches worldwide. The Initiative is doing so by developing and communicating the evidence base related to such approaches, fostering cross-sectoral knowledge sharing and dialogue, and developing and implementing a global action agenda. In doing so, the Initiative will advance viable pathways for sustainable development in places where food production, ecosystem health and human well-being must be achieved simultaneously. For more information, please visit the Initiative website at www.landscapes.ecoagriculture.org.
To support the above efforts, EcoAgriculture Partners is hiring a Communications Manager to join our committed team in Washington, DC, as soon as possible. The Communications Manager will conduct outreach and communications activities both for the Landscapes for People, Food and Nature Initiative and for EcoAgriculture Partners’ other projects and programs. We seek to hire a motivated individual who is creative, ambitious, and articulate. The successful candidate
will be an effective team worker while simultaneously being adept at working independently to manage multiple, complex tasks. This position is a full-time salaried position with benefits.
The Communications Manager will:
- Develop messaging of complex concepts for diverse audiences;
- Prepare and edit written communications materials such as press releases, organizational reports, web postings, and other documents to be disseminated through diverse channels;
- Further develop and maintain the EcoAgriculture Partners and Landscapes for People, Food and Nature Initiative websites;
- Assist in developing EcoAgriculture Partners’ communications and outreach strategy in line with the organization’s 2011-2014 Strategic Plan;
- Coordinate and maintain high standards for EcoAgriculture Partners’ publications series;
- Provide professional English editing of publications and other outreach materials;
- Prepare a regular EcoAgriculture Partners newsletter;
- Ensure widespread dissemination of EcoAgriculture Partners and Initiative materials; and
- Coordinate social media for EcoAgriculture Partners and the Initiative.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Undergraduate degree in journalism, development communication, or in an ecoagriculture-related field;
- At least three years of relevant communications work experience;
- Native-level fluency in written and spoken English;
- Outstanding writing skills;
- Experience in editing and copy-editing;
- Extreme attention to detail;
- Fluency in online media applications such as Facebook, Twitter and Flickr;
- Ability to work and prioritize tasks in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment;
- Ability to travel on an occasional basis;
- Legal right to work in the United States; and
- Sense of humor and ability to effectively work in a diverse team.
Desirable Experience and Skills:
- Written fluency in additional major global languages, particularly French or Spanish;
- Relevant masters’ degree;
- Experience writing and editing a blog;
- Experience using blogging tools such as Wordpress;
- Experience working with and/or supervising graphic artists;
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite software; and
- Experience living, working and/or studying in a developing country.
Salary and Benefits:
The annual salary range for this position is $40,000-$52,000, depending on experience. Benefits include 29 days of annual and holiday leave, sick leave, health insurance, and retirement contribution. The position is full-time and the successful candidate will be offered an initial contract for two years. The position is based in Washington, DC, and will begin as soon as possible.
Please e-mail a cover letter (maximum of 1.5 pages) specifically describing your background, experience, and interest in this position; your current curriculum vitae (maximum of 4 pages); two writing samples, such as a blog posting, policy brief, media story, or promotional brochure (maximum of 4 pages each) to showcase your ability to write concisely and compellingly for different audiences; and three professional references, one of which may be an academic
Please send completed applications, with the subject line “Communications Manager – [your name]” to Sarah Thompson, firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will commence on 16 April 2012 and continue until the position is filled.
Posted By EcoAgriculture Partners at 3:53pm on 01 May 2012